Thursday, August 04, 2005

Let's Raise the Bar

"How wonderful that no one need wait a single moment to improve the world." Anne Frank said that, I think. It was either her or Barney Frank. One of the Franks.

Anyway, the point is that when I run the park on Sundays, I have noticed that most casual bike riders circling the path are riding on seats that are far, far too low. This really has reached epidemic proportions and I can't stand for it another single moment. I won't stand for it. These people simply must sit higher to generate more watts of power; it's basic algebra.

Effective immediately, I've begun a personal crusade to raise seats. I am flagging down the most egregious offenders and forcefully explaining my position. If they respond and raise their seats, I can only hope other cyclists will take notice and fall in line. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. To that end, I've even begun carrying an Allen wrench in my fuel belt; giving up one 8-oz. water bottle to help these weekend warriors maximize their bike workouts is a small price to pay for slight dehydration.
- Racer X