Friday, March 11, 2005

JJ: Midnight Buzz

After 8:30 P.M. masters swimming, I usually need about an hour to rehydrate and decompress before I can sleep.

When I hit the pillow last night, two hours of reliving the brutal backstroke set in my mind passed by and I still wasn’t asleep. Finally, a light bulb clicked on and I rolled out of bed to check the labels of the Propel flavored water that I drank. No caffeine. Next, I dug the wrapper of the Peanut Toffee Buzz Clif Bar out of the trash and discovered that it contained Green Tea Extract (50 mg caffeine equivalent). A little research today tells me that’s about the same amount of caffeine that’s in a 12-ounce can of Mountain Dew.

I need to start sorting my energy bars into day and night categories. Perhaps the “Buzz" in the name should have been a clue.
-Jan